Essentials Before Moving to The Netherlands: Part 1/3

Essentials Before Moving to The Netherlands: Part 1/3

Are you considering moving to The Netherlands in search of higher education? 

If the answer is yes then keep reading below, as these are the essential tips you need to follow BEFORE you start your journey to your new home.

There are a number of things you need to know and consider before even getting on that plane, for example: do you need a visa, if so, have you sorted it? Have you found the study you want? Do you already have your student housing?? Do you need a health insurance? These and more questions ranked below:

The Netherlands is known to have some of the best universities in the world, courses and entire programs that are taught in English and very reasonable cost of living and cost of studying. It’s no wonder why more and more students decide to further their education here. First of all, you need to make up your mind about the type of university you want to study in. There are 2 main types: Research Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences (HBO). In The Netherlands more than 2100 study programmes are taught in English, just make sure you take your time to find the best one that suits your needs and ideas for future development. A few of the best universities in the country include:

  • University of Amsterdam,
  • Delft University of Technology,
  • Leiden University,
  • Utrecht University,
  • The Hague University of Applied Sciences,
  • Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences,
  • Avans University of Applied Sciences, among others.

Moving to The Netherlands, is always exciting but can also give you a headache, especially when you are not ready. That said, you must do your homework and prepare well, if you wish to avoid all pitfalls that may arise otherwise. Some of the things you have to sort out well in advance are your personal documents (such as birth certificate, passports and visas) required from most of the authorities when entering the country, registering at the municipality for the first time as well as enrolling in the university.

Students from the European Union can travel freely in the union, however, if you come from a country that is not a member, you might need to apply for a visa and/or a residence permit before arrival and it is recommended to check that in advance. You can find more information about your country on the official government website:

In the second part of Essentials before moving to The Netherlands you will find out more about finding your student housing or an apartment for rent, health insurance and more.